Mario is the author of OSS Lambdaj which brings functional programming and closures to java, and the Hammurabi Scala rule engine.
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2009/08/08/J1-2009-MarioFusco-Lambdaj.html (JavaOne Audio podcast)
Mario initially will be focusing on improving the end user experience of the core engine, specifically in authoring DRL. Below is a list of areas he'll be responsible for, during his first 6 months. Of course he isn't limited to just those :)
- Improved syntax error reporting
- Killing all parser bugs and also expression and action evaluation bugs.
- Better masking of the underlying execution engine (MVEL leaks too much)
- Helping us move to a single language (no more dialects).
- Micro benchmarking so we can better track performance and memory regressions
- ASM bytecode compilation so we can reduce our dependency on JDT over time, which is too heavy. ASM will allow a more runtime JIT approach to expressions and actions.
- Maintaining the Eclipse DRL editor.
- Help with future DRL design discussions especially on functional programming.